About Florida A&M University
Why Choose Florida A&M University
Florida A&M University is known for its legacy of providing access to a high-quality, affordable education with programs and services that guide students toward successfully achieving their dreams. Recognized as a historically black university and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), FAMU offers career-focused degree programs both on campus in Florida and online to ensure students all over the country have the opportunity to receive a quality education.
Florida A&M University and its degree programs are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). All nursing programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).* Whether you attend courses on campus or learn in FAMU’s online classroom, you’ll graduate with an accredited degree and the credential you need to go further in your career.*
- First Nursing baccalaureate program in state of Florida1
- Highest ranked public HBCU by U.S. News & World Report2
- Top #25 performers on social mobility by U.S. News & World Report3
- Top 100 public online nursing masters programs in 2022 by U.S. News & World Report4
- Founded in 1887, FAMU is an historically black university
- Online nursing degrees are ACEN-accredited*
- All online degrees offer three start dates per year
- Faculty have professional experience in their fields of study
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is an 1890 land grant, doctoral/research institution devoted to student success at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and professional levels. FAMU enhances the lives of its constituents and empowers communities through innovative teaching, research, scholarship, partnerships, and public service. The University continues its rich legacy and historic mission of educating African Americans, and embraces all dimensions of diversity.
Our Mission at the School of Nursing
Our mission is to create a student-centered environment that emphasizes excellence through integrity, honesty, innovation, and accountability, while providing an enriched academic, intellectual, moral, cultural, ethical, and technological socialization to the discipline of nursing. We are committed to the development of highly qualified and caring nurses who can apply high quality, culturally competent and evidence-based healthcare to diverse populations within local, national, and global communities. Furthermore, we advocate the advancement of nursing science through scholarship, research, and practice with a commitment of benefit to our communities and stakeholders.
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) will be recognized as a leading national public university that is internationally renowned for its competitive graduates, transformative research, and innovation.
Our Vision at the School of Nursing
The Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University School of Nursing will be recognized by local, state, national, and worldwide communities as a preeminent nursing program that is committed to teaching with excellence and caring; excellence in scholarship; and immersion in professional service, graduating transformational students prepared to provide safe, quality, evidence-based care in the ever-changing landscape of healthcare and solve complex issues impacting of individuals, families, communities and the global society.
Florida A&M University is committed to preparing students for career advancement opportunities and a lifetime of professional success by teaching our core values through each degree program.
The Florida A&M University School of Nursing is the oldest continuing baccalaureate nursing program in the United States at a historically black institution. Established in 1904 as a hospital-based program, it became the first baccalaureate program in Florida in 1936. The Florida Board of Nursing approved the program and its graduates were permitted to write the licensure examination in 1941. Ten years later, the program obtained accreditation by the Collegiate Board of Review of the National League of Nursing Accreditation Service.
Sources and Disclaimers
- History of the School of Nursing. 2022. Retrieved Sept. 19, 2022, from https://nursing.famu.edu/about-the-school-of-nursing/history-of-the-school-of-nursing.php.
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities. 2022-2023. Retrieved Sept. 19, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/hbcu.
- Top Performers on Social Mobility. 2022-2023. Retrieved Sept. 19, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/social-mobility?_sort=rank&_sortDirection=asc.
- Best Online Master’s in Nursing Programs. 2022-2023. Retrieved Sept. 19, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/nursing/rankings?institution-type=public.
*BSN – The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for baccalaureate nursing program is Continuing Accreditation with Good Cause.
MSN – The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for Masters nursing programs is Continuing Accreditation.